We are so very fortunate to be located in Shieldfield at the centre of so much local history. Did you know Lord Armstrong, one of the world's finest engineers and also one of the biggest arms dealers of his time was born just outside our school at no.9 Pleasant Row. We have been discussing whether Armstrong was a hero or a villain?
In Year 5/6, children visit Jesmond Dene, Armstrong Park and Heaton Park exploring the Lord Armstrong's history and taking part in some natural maths activities.
In Year 6 children also explore the history of the Ouseburn Lead works and in particular carrying out an inquest into the death of Lizzie Dowson who lived on Lime Street.
Take a look at the old map of the Ouseburn as well as the old Chronicle newspaper report that has kicked off our enquiry.
- History_national_curriculum_-_History : ( History_national_curriculum_-_History.pdf )
- Lord William Armstrong discussion : ( Lord William Armstrong discussion.doc )
- CCLEAFLETPRINT : ( CCLEAFLETPRINT.pdf )
- Evening chronicle LD : ( Evening chronicle LD.doc )
- ouseburn_1895_map : ( ouseburn_1895_map.pdf )
- LD1881census : ( LD1881census.pdf )
- LD1891census : ( LD1891census.pdf )
- LD1901census (1) : ( LD1901census (1).pdf )
- LD_Ouseburnin1891briefing : ( LD_Ouseburnin1891briefing.pdf )