Early Years Curriculum
Learning in Early Years
In Early Years the curriculum focuses on 7 areas-
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Communication and Language
- Physical Development
- Understanding the World
- Expressive Arts and Design
Within these areas there are 17 Early Learning Goals (ELG). Children complete a baseline assessment at the beginning of reception and are assessed again against the early learning goals in the summer term.
For each ELG, teachers must judge whether a child is:
- meeting the level of development expected at the end of the Early Years Foundation Stage (expected) or
- not yet reaching this level (emerging).
An Early Years Profile for each child is completed and results given to parents.